I was provided with some tips that I thought I would share. They are questions that you can ask as you spend time with the daily reading. My pastor gave me these suggestions when trying to understand what you are reading...
Observation: What does the text actually say? What's in front of me? (printing out the text and writing on it, underlining, circling, and writing down any questions can be helpful here)
Interpretation: What did the text mean in its original context to its original audience?
Application: What does the text mean today for us? How should I respond to it in my time and situation?
He also said, "Remember that genre is important (Prophecy is different than Paul's letters; Psalms are poetry/prayers/songs; Narratives like Exodus or the Gospels have a story arc with intro, conflict/tension, rising action, climax, and resolution). We read the sports page of the newspaper differently than we read a mystery novel. The same is true of different books of the Bible written in different genres. For instance, the Proverbs are meant to teach us wisdom, not make specific promises of how things will always turn out if we act a certain way. Poetry uses a lot of figurative language, whereas historical narrative usually does not".
I thought that this could be useful information considering the reading plan that we have chosen. I have also made a Bible Study document folder where we can put documents that we want to share. I have added the Bible study that we are doing as well as some of the reading suggestions that the pastor has shared with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Day 729 - Revelation 22:12-21 & Proverbs 31
Julie We have come to the end. I am proud of us for making it through and look forward to going through again next year. This ends with Je...
-
Julie Today's reading was mostly atonements and offerings for sins. The most telling part of today's reading was the end where God...
-
Michelle Learning this blogger thing is challenging. I’m not sure really where this is going to end up so hopefully I’m in the right place t...
-
Julie David finally becomes king and this explains his reign and his family. God also makes a covenant with the line of David that they wi...
This is very helpful.
ReplyDelete